Senior Associate (Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning)
IPA Mexico is looking to hire a Senior Associate to design and manage the MEL system a project and to develop and oversee the delivery of a portfolio of evidence- and learning- related advisory services. The development sector is gradually paying more attention to the potential for data and evidence to support program management, learning, and improvement. Project monitoring and evaluation is an integral part of the project cycle and a pre-requisite for results-based management. By periodically assessing the extent of the overall project progress, it generates important information on the project advancement and allows for necessary adjustments. IPA follows the CART principles, a set of principles that can guide the creation of right-fit MEL systems.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Senior Associate, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Research/Policy Manager and in close consultation with RFE unit.
- Design and manage the MEL system of the Mexico office projects;
- Assist in pre-interventions assessment exercises to establish baselines and targets, as well as other relevant data to inform the program strategy.
- Support in designing/revising MEL Frameworks including Theory of Change, logical model, logical framework, key performance indicators, risk-management plan, and data collection tools.
- Generate periodic monitoring reports with proposals of strategies for addressing identified challenges relating to the Program Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Provide rapid response to requests for M&E related data and information from IPA, donors, or partners
- Support to the Implementation team in planning, implementation, and work-planning
- Manage relationships with staff at the partner organization, including regular follow-ups and meetings
- Writing regular progress reports and leading project meetings to ensure deadlines are met.
- Work closely with the Research Manager and the Grants team in managing donor deliverables and assist with donor reporting and proposal writing for new grants.
- Manage project staff hiring; prepare project staff hiring adverts, work with the HR department on screening and assist in conducting project interviews.
- Overall finance oversight on the project including financial tracking, reporting and budget management
- Support the creation of a MEL team on the Mexico office
- Develop tailor-made solutions for the learning needs of organizations, and support their implementation
- Develop and oversee the delivery of a portfolio of evidence- and learning- related advisory services
- Carry out any other duties within the overall function and level of responsibility of the position.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, public policy, political science or other quantitative social science disciplines. A post graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
- At least 2 years of experience in monitoring and evaluation with an emphasis on project monitoring in an international organization, national development aid organization, or recognized NGO implementing large development cooperation programs. Experience in the justice and security sector is an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of M&E frameworks, data analysis and synthesis, and report writing;
- Excellent knowledge of M&E standards, development of M&E frameworks, Theory of Change, and logic models;
- Excellent understanding of key performance indicators, and tracking of the indicators;
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct baseline studies and needs assessments, including hands-on experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection methods. This includes questionnaires/surveys, structured/semi-structured and unstructured interviews, structured desk review and mapping, on-site observations, focus group discussions, etc.
- Demonstrated capacity to use project M&E to advance program results and provide data for decision-making.
- Computer skills demonstrating competency in advanced statistical package such as Stata, and managing large and complex data-sets.
- Proficiency in writing M&E related reports.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, self-starter mindset
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Experience managing field staff, partner liaison and relationship management in developing countries strongly preferred.
- Excellent management and organizational skills; ability to successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines required
- Communication Skills: strong oral and written communication skills in the English and Spanish languages required
- Ability to synthesize information in an insightful way
- Work authorization in Mexico
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the APPROPRIATE CATEGORY job category, then select “Senior Associate (Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning)”. Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter) and CV.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
IPA's Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI)
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.
Associate Research Manager
Deadline to apply
Desired start date