Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has conducted 900+ evaluations in 51 countries. IPA mobilizes and supports decision-makers to use evidence-based solutions to build better programs and policies at scale through partnerships with government and development organizations.
Since IPA Colombia’s founding in 2014, we have completed 40+ projects, with 20+ ongoing projects, evaluating the impact of policies, programs, and products across a variety of topics such as ECD, social protection, migration, financial inclusion, peace and recovery, among others in both the public and private sectors.
Senior Associate profile
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a Senior Research Associate to support the Colombia office’s large and growing portfolio of migration-related research projects. The Research Associate will work closely with the IPA research and policy teams, Principal Investigators (PIs), and implementing partners, gaining hands‐on field research and management experience. Key responsibilities will include coordinating and collaborating with external academic, policy, and programmatic partners designing and piloting survey questionnaires; recruiting, training, and managing junior research staff and field teams; designing and supervising logistics for field activities; cleaning and analyzing survey data; assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos; and liaising with key stakeholders. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
As an ideal candidate, you should have a solid technical foundation in impact evaluation methodology and econometrics. You must be able to organize complex work plans and lead teams to produce high-quality outputs on time and on budget. You are able to think critically and problem solve in a high-paced, dynamic environment. You are able to manage relations with high-level project stakeholders including researchers, policy makers, implementing partners, and donors.
- Coordinate and serve as a liaison between project partners during the design and implementation stages of research studies.
- Design and implement systems and protocols that guarantee data quality.
- Present frequent reports to the Research Manager, Principal Investigators, and implementing partners regarding the assigned project(s).
- Design and implement monitoring systems of interventions ensuring that the plan is executed correctly.
- Work alongside the research team to analyze data and interpret results.
- Write project reports and deliverables, as well as participate in the drafting of summaries and policy briefs, among others.
- Participate in the hiring, training, and management of junior research staff and field teams.
- Design data collection and monitoring instruments.
- Monitor the implementation of field work and support data collection so that it is implemented according to the research design(s).
- Support literature reviews and other tasks relevant to research projects.
- Participate in the research design processes at different stages.
- Work on the development of tools to guarantee the quality of the data in the data collections.
- Work with the Researchers, the IPA team, and other partners that are part of the projects to analyze data and interpret the results.
- Support the development of reports and presentations related to research design or findings for different audiences in English and Spanish.
- Lead Analysts and Interns in project activities
- Actively participate in other office activities aimed at meeting strategic goals.
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, Government / Political Science, Administration/Finance, Engineering, or related field with a quantitative approach.
- At least 3 years of work experience after obtaining the first undergraduate degree, preferably related to research projects and/or data analysis.
- Familiarity with impact evaluations and specifically with randomized experiments.
- Strong quantitative skills and knowledge of Stata, it is an added value to know other programming languages and have other technical skills related to programming.
- Knowledge of statistical and econometric concepts.
- Ability to present and perform data analysis using Stata or other statistical analysis software.
- Ability to manage relationships with partners and counterparts.
- Ability to handle multiple projects with separate workflows and activities simultaneously and lead teams to support activity implementation.
- Ability to work and problem solve under pressure and meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Highly skilled planner and organizer with a meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish, including the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Availability to travel frequently within Colombia.
- Previous experience working with projects related to Venezuelan migration and social protection, labor, early childhood development (and their intersection).
To apply click here.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.