IPA seeks an experienced consumer protection specialist to lead IPA’s Consumer Protection Research Initiative (CPRI) (https://www.poverty-action.org/program-area/financial-inclusion/consumer-protection-initiative). The CPRI has worked for 2+ years to develop new tools and research methods to identify and address emerging risks in digital financial services (DFS.) The CPRI has focused on four key risks in DFS: Fraud, complaints handling and redress, product information and choice, and debt stress. (For a full list of studies funded under this initiative see https://www.poverty-action.org/program-area/financial-inclusion/consumer-protection-initiative/funded-projects)
The Project Director will manage IPA’s current consumer protection research partnerships and build the strategic vision and partnerships for the next phase of the CPRI. Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee the current portfolio of consumer protection research projects to ensure timely completion and high-quality outputs which expand evidence on promising solutions to key consumer challenges.
- Develop and implement a communications and dissemination strategy for IPA research on consumer protection
- Develop strategic plan for second phase of Consumer Protection Research Initiative, share plan globally to secure new partnerships with researchers, government agencies, financial institutions, and civil society to deliver on the second phase strategic plan.
- Lead fundraising efforts for the second phase of the strategic plan with IPA’s Financial Inclusion Program, IPA country offices, and research partners.
- Manage team of IPA staff and research partners across the globe to build consumer protection research
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with firms, government, civil society and researchers.
- Develop and deliver workshops and trainings on the use of research in consumer protection.
- Serve as IPA voice on consumer protection at global, regional and domestic fora as needed.
- Participate in the review of research proposals and award decisions.
- Master’s degree in public policy, economics, social sciences, or a related field
- At least 10 years work experience in financial inclusion in emerging markets, with 3-5 years specific experience in consumer protection
- Familiarity with randomized control trials; experience running randomized control trial evaluations a plus
- Proven record conducting research on consumer protection in African and/or Asian markets; a record of publications on financial consumer protection in emerging markets is a plus
- Experience designing and delivering high-quality consumer protection workshops, conferences, and trainings
- Strong existing connections with global leaders on consumer protection in financial inclusion
- Existing relationships with policymakers and digital financial service providers in Africa and/or Asia
- Experience communicating research to practitioner and policymaker audiences; experience leading communications and outreach strategies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Experience managing and mentoring junior staff
- Experience working with donors, government agencies, policymakers, and researchers on evidence based policy making
- Willingness and ability to travel with Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.