Please Note: IPA Volunteerships are unpaid.
STARS (Strengthening Teachers Accountability to Reach all Students)
Previous research in Ghana, India, and Kenya demonstrated the effectiveness of an inexpensive strategy to increase student learning—targeted instruction that teaches students at their level of knowledge, not their grade level. Unfortunately, despite its successes and with proven training methods, this method of teaching is not always implemented with great fidelity, raising concerns as governments move to scale effective interventions. Particular to this context, the Ghana TCAI study in lower primary grades found broad take-up of the program difficult but improved outcomes when it was used as intended. This new project will test the effectiveness of targeted instruction in upper primary grades and ways Ghana Education Service (GES) can encourage fidelity of implementation of this approach, all through leveraging existing civil service personnel.
- Assist in survey design and programming; using/learning skip logic, indexing in SurveyCTO forms
- Assist in data management and data cleaning; using/learning IPA-standard STATA protocols and coding practices to generate high-quality do-files and other relevant documents
- Assist in the development of materials and conducting training of field teams
- Assist in managing field team logistics and monitoring, including field work and being embedded in enumerator teams
- Perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor
- A Bachelor's degree (completed) in Economics, Public Policy, Social sciences, or a related field,
- Good command of Stata (skills will be tested),
- Strong quantitative skills,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English,
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Familiarity with impact evaluation methodologies, particularly with randomized controlled trials
- A Master’s degree (completed or enrolled) in Education, Social Sciences or related field
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Experience working or living in developing countries, particularly in West Africa
1) Send a resume and a cover letter to Renaud Comba: email@example.com
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: IPA Ghana – Student Volunteer STARS
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.