IPA Liberia is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual with outstanding project management, data analysis, people management, and communication skills as a Senior Research Associate to support the implementation of a project surrounding agricultural education and intergenerational knowledge transfer. The Senior Research Associate position is a unique opportunity to combine significant project management experience with involvement in cutting-edge development research on a dynamic and passionate IPA Liberia team.
As an ideal candidate, you not only have a rock-solid technical foundation in impact evaluation methodology, but you can also independently guide and direct the activities that happen both upstream and downstream of any rigorous, randomized evaluation. You enjoy leading high-performing teams that drive the production of the highest quality research for our clients and partners. You excel in solving problems using clear, strategic, and creative thinking. You have a strong social acumen and are excited about the opportunity to broaden, deepen, and manage meaningful relationships with high-level clients and partners across the public, academic, non-governmental, and multilateral sectors.
We are looking for a commitment period of roughly two years for this position with a possibility for a longer-term position for exceptional candidates.
- The Senior Research Associate will perform a variety of tasks related to managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. These include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate research and implementation efforts with all relevant stakeholders;
- Recruiting, training and supervising field-based teams;
- Refining and piloting survey questionnaires;
- Supervising and monitoring data collection to ensure high-quality of the data;
- Running data quality checks and fixing issues with data collected during data collection;
- Assisting in data cleaning and preliminary analysis and ensuring ready access to all data for researchers and/or supervisors;
- Documenting in detail all activities related to the project;
- Maintaining accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary;
- Preparing high-quality progress and results reports to Principal Investigators (PI), research partners, and funding agencies, and sharing them timely;
- Providing timely updates and responses to partner organizations, and participating in meetings with key stakeholders;
- Providing training and supervision for research project staff (Field Manager and National Research Associate);
- Managing project finances including budgeting, expense tracking, and financial reporting;
- Ensuring that all team members follow necessary protocols and procedures;
- Handling day to day PI and partner communications;
- Any other task as assigned by the supervisor;
- Keep the Country Director and Research Manager apprised of all developments in the project and serve as the key link between the field staff, research team, and Principal Investigators.
- Support the country office in project and policy development as needed
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, or other quantitative social science disciplines (Master’s degree strongly preferred);
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of economics and econometrics required. Demonstrated proficiency in Stata, and experience with data management, data cleaning, and regression analysis
- A minimum of 2-year of work experience is required. Experience managing field staff in developing countries strongly preferred;
- Ability to collaborate among geographically and culturally diverse teams to drive common goals
- Interculturally-versed to build capacity, work with, and live in Liberia;
- Excellent management and organizational skills;
- Ability to successfully completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines, required;
- Communication Skills: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills are required;
- Language: English fluency required;
- Experience with agricultural and/or educational interventions a plus.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Senior Research Associate, Liberia”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.