Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit M&E Unit is seeking a Senior Associate to help advise our partners in the Philippines on how to develop and implement adaptive Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems. The Senior Associate will initially work on a project in the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector, and is expected to help develop and work on other engagements as the unit grows. The position is based in Manila and will report to the M&E Engagement Manager in New York, with additional oversight from the Philippines Country Director.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit M&E Unit at IPA is a new effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit will provide consulting and direct services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost-effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality
The Senior M&E Associate will be the primary on-the-ground staff member delivering M&E technical support for a two-year WASH project. The Senior Associate will spend around two days a week embedded with the client on this project, in order to build their capacity in using adaptive M&E. With oversight from the M&E Engagement Manager, the Senior Associate will:
- Provide technical advice on the design of data collection methods, survey instruments and data management
- Train client team members in how to analyse and summarize M&E data
- Provide guidance to clients’ ongoing project monitoring, including by recommending implementation quality indicators and data sources
- Provide advice to clients to develop and maintain M&E plans
- Support clients to draft theories of change (ToCs) for project activities, by reviewing program documents and relevant literature
- Assist clients to identify M&E questions to test the assumptions in their ToCs, and provide advice on the strength of key assumptions
- Assist clients to prepare materials, organize logistics and document outcomes for MEL workshops and meetings
- Take an active role in the development and performance of new engagements for the Unit
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience, including experience in MEL (public sector) or organizational performance (private sector)
- Superior analytical, quantitative and conceptual thinking skills
- Strong client facing and presentation skills, and ability to build relationships of trust with stakeholders at various levels.
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and willingness to learn.
- Experience working in developing countries
- Strong proficiency in Excel for data management and analysis
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in statistics, data analysis or MEL methodologies
- Background in development programs relating to WASH, sustainable livelihoods and/or gender and social inclusion
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of MEL (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software, SMS or Interactive Voice Response (IVR) technology
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Senior M&E Associate, Philippines”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.