Please Note: IPA Volunteerships are unpaid.
IPA is looking for a student volunteer to support IPA’s Research Transparency Initiative with data curation. The goal of the initiative is to increase research integrity by promoting transparent research practices. The main objectives are: 1) Improving the transparency of IPA studies by offering assistance in sharing data in the IPA data repository; 2) Offering a service to researchers to check statistical code prior to publication; and 3) Providing organization-wide guidelines and training on reproducible research to assist IPA’s countries offices. (See http://www.poverty-action.org/research-transparency for more information.) This is a great opportunity for someone who loves working with data and has a deep interest in cutting edge international development research.
The student volunteer will work closely with the Research Manager to:
- Examine and check data and code (primarily in Stata) for usability of IPA RCT publications.
- Run “code checks” as needed to ensure that shared data and code can reproduce tables in publications of IPA studies.
- Log RCTs from the American Economic Association registry on IPA’s internal Salesforce database.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in a social science discipline, though other majors considered
- Strong Stata and R skills required. Additional familiarity with SAS and SPSS a plus.
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- Must have human subjects certification (or complete it before the start of the volunteership).
- The position will have management from the Research Manager, but the volunteer should have a high level of ability to work independently and formulate reasonable and careful work plans.
- High attention to detail and organizational ability.
- Enthusiasm for high quality and transparent research practices, excellent critical thinking skills, and clear written/verbal communication style.
- Understanding of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) design preferable.
- Familiarity with open science and research transparency is desired, but not required.
1) Send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: IPA Research Transparency Student Volunteer
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.