IPA-Philippines is looking to hire a Research Associate (RA) for two years (extendable) to manage multiple studies in partnership with International Care Ministries (ICM), one of the largest NGOs in the Philippines and long-time partner of IPA Philippines. IPA and ICM are embarking on a multi-year project to iteratively design, test, refine, and ultimately evaluate ICM’s health, livelihoods, values, and education program. The goal is to come up with a model that has proven impact, is cost-effective, and easily scalable to reach more than a million ultra-poor Filipinos. Professor Dean Karlan from Northwestern University will provide intellectual guidance and serve as the lead academic advisor on the project.
The RA will work closely with the IPA Philippines Research Manager and other IPA and ICM staff. The project is spread across various locations in the Philippines, so candidates should be prepared for extensive travel. This project offers the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in quantitative data collection and to work with an engaged partner organization and senior academics on a groundbreaking project that has already generated interest among academics, donors, and non-profits.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Actively participating in designing, tinkering, and piloting program components along with ICM and IPA staff.
- Developing, field testing, and finalizing questionnaires; managing translation into local dialects; programming the questionnaires in SurveyCTO.
- Training, and managing a large field team in collaboration with the project’s Field Manager.
- Overseeing data collection activities; ensuring adherence to data quality protocols, managing data quality audits and running high frequency checks using Stata.
- Communicating with ICM about all field activities and participation in meetings with stakeholders.
- Maintaining detailed documentation of data collection and project log.
- Monitoring fieldwork expenditures and compliance with timelines
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Strong quantitative skills
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Strong programming skills in Stata
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO strongly preferred
- Ability to travel extensively and lead field work across various regions of the Philippines
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to work independently
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English, knowledge of Tagalog or other Filipino languages/dialects is a strong plus
- At least 1 year of relevant work experience. Working experience in a developing country is a strong plus
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Philippines”. Most applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.