IPA seeks a qualified and highly motivated applicant for the position of Research Associate for Becoming One program in Uganda. Implemented by World Vision, in collaboration with IRC’s Airbel center, Becoming One, is a couples counselling program conducted by faith leaders to encourage behavior change that may prevent intimate partner violence. The program promotes skill development on communication, emotional regulation, shared control over finances, and sexual consent while using the Bible to reinforce people’s existing values around positive, peaceful relationships. The Associate will work under the direct supervision of the IPA Research Manager and under the technical oversight of the IRC’s Airbel Center.
The Research Associate will work closely with researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey instruments, conducting qualitative and pilot exercises to inform study and/or questionnaire design, managing survey teams, ensuring data collection protocols are adhered to, ensuring data collected is of highest quality, delivering clean databases, assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and managing communication and relationship with stakeholders (researchers, implementing partners, among others). In addition, the RA will work closely with implementing to monitor the intervention through collection of qualitative aspects of the program during the intervention.
Throughout the timeframe of this position, the RA will be expected to work full-time on the research project. The major roles and responsibilities of the RA are expected to consist of:
- Liaise with Principal Investigators and Survey Coordinator in the design of survey questionnaires
- Ensure local and international Institutional Review Board (IRB) approvals are obtained
- Program survey tools using the ODK programming language
- Manage translation of survey tools in local languages
- Develop data collection protocols and data quality assurance protocol
- Develop a data collection plan (procurement, logistics and route plan) that ensures adherence to data collection budget
- Manage the project budget
- Supervise training and hiring of team leaders, auditors and surveyors
- Conduct daily data quality checks
- Ensure implementation of survey spotchecks and backchecks
- Compile clean databases
- Assist the PI team in data analysis
- Manage critical high-level relationships with donors, partner organizations and researchers
- Produce technical reports for donor and/or other stakeholders
- Keep the Research Manager and the PI team appraised of all project activities
The research team expects the RA to produce high quality deliverables, but also to maintain a high standard of professional and ethical conduct. This includes cultural sensitivity and respect when dealing with local populations, as well as full transparency and disclosure on the part of the RA when dealing with the research team and partners.
- A Bachelor's (or Master’s) Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Development studies or related field;
- Experience with Open Data Kit (ODK) programming language is a strong plus;
- Excellent command of English, both spoken and written (skills will be tested);
- Excellent management and organizational skills;
- Strong quantitative skills (skills will be tested);
- Strong English writing skills (skills will be tested);
- If international applicant, experience living in a developing country is a strong plus;
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written);
- Knowledge of Stata is strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of another data analysis software is a plus;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials is a strong plus;
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player;
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with stakeholders (Principal Investigators and partner organizations).
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Becoming One”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.