Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in New York, Washington, D.C. and worldwide; IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
IPA seeks an Operations Director to provide strengthening and support to the operations of its global network of Country Offices. IPA currently maintains a direct programming presence in 19 countries managed by 14 Country Offices.
Strong operational support is critical to the delivery of quality programs. IPA defines operations as those systems, support functions and internal controls necessary to implement programs effectively and accountably; inclusive of logistics/ procurement, human resources and administration, ICT, and safety and security management. The Global Operations Director, in close collaboration with the Global/ Regional Programs team, will focus on supporting a minimum standard of operational excellence to maximize program support, efficiency, and delivery. The position will, in addition, provide ‘surge’ capacity in operations should emergencies or crises within existing or new country interventions need extra high-level support for a concentrated period of time
S/he will work under the direction and guidance of the Chief Global Program Officer and will work in close collaboration with the Regional Directors in support of IPA Country Offices. The Operations Director will also coordinate support and assistance with the key Global Functional Teams led by the Chief Finance and Administration Officer, Chief Information Officer, Global HR Director, General Counsel and others as required.
- Continuous analysis and review of internal controls, operational policies and procedures and business processes and identify gaps for strengthening, training and implementation.
- Contribute to policy and business process development at the global-level, as led by IPA’s Global Functional Departments, providing regional and country-level contextualization.
- Oversee the roll-out and implementation of global operations and administrative policies and procedures at country office level, including the Global Procurement Policy
- Oversee safety and security analysis, planning and management including implementation of Global Safety and Security Guidelines and Minimum Standards
- Assists in the review of agreements, MoUs and contracts as required both as oversight to procurement processes and to review content in coordination with General Counsel
- Assists in country-level audit planning and follow-up that can include: reviews of country office operations departments, drafting and reviews of operational improvement plans, compliance sturdiness of country offices, audit readiness, internal audit interface
- Work closely with Global HR functional team to manage country- and regional-level human resource needs in line with global and local policies.
- Work closely with Global Finance Department to support efficient and effective financial management
- Assist country office budgeting
- Work closely with the ICT (MIST) functional support team to ensure Country Offices have a functioning ICT infrastructure and support.
- Assist in the maintenance and management of the country risk registers, and risk management in general.
- Oversees the operational support to IPA Country Offices that can include: Operational support in country: country visits, emergency deployments, surge needs for start-ups or gap filling
- Preferably degree level education; Masters’ Degree an added advantage,
- Extensive general management experience (7-10 years’ experience preferred), preferably in an NGO and preferably at the director level
- Extensive operations support management experience in a development organization.
- A thorough understanding and experience with a wide range of donors.
- Strong communication and representational skills
- Fluent in English and high standards of French and/ or Spanish is highly advantageous
- Sensitivity to working in a culturally diverse organization and region
- Experience of working with non-for-profit organizations in a developing country is required.
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
To apply click here.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.