The Manager, Policy & Communications will manage and directly execute strategic communications projects that support of IPA’s mission. As a member of IPA's Communications Team, s/he will work closely with the Partnerships & Philanthropy team, Sector Programs, country offices, implementing partners, funders, and some of the world’s top academics to manage and directly execute the production of fundraising materials, policy briefs, presentations, blog posts, website updates, emails, social media posts, and other major publications. S/he will also be responsible for driving forward special communications projects, which will include evidence synthesis, partner and funder engagement, and implementing communications plans for high-profile research. Management duties include managing communications grants and eventually managing associate-level staff.
This versatile individual must not only possess exceptional writing, editing, and project management skills, but have excellent interpersonal skills, and a strong grasp of a range of international development topics and RCTs. Success in this role will require a high level of flexibility, ability to execute, and responsiveness, as well as the ability to manage ongoing in-coming requests and to work collaboratively within and across teams. Experience with partner and funder engagement, and strong skills in this area, are key.
The Manager, Policy & Communications will join a group of passionate, analytical, and collaborative team members who are committed to using evidence to solve pressing problems and improve lives. This role reports to the Associate Director, Communications.
- Manage and execute the production of external-facing publications and online resources that translate academic research for a policymakers, practitioners, and donors, helping to advance IPA’s policy impact and fundraising goals
- Push forward and lead coordination on strategic communications projects with key partners and researchers
- Manage communications grants and eventually manage associate-level staff
- Contribute to and help execute IPA’s communications strategy and messaging, including cultivating IPA’s voice through our blog, social media platforms, and other communications avenues
- Support with drafting internal and external communications (emails, blog posts, articles) by senior leaders at IPA
- Source and produce high-quality communications materials for our donor audience, including storytelling, talking points, presentation support
- Edit communications products to ensure quality, accuracy, and relevance for target audiences
- Synthesize evidence and craft policy lessons on high-priority topics for key partners and funders
- Coordinate virtual and/or in-person events with coordination, planning, and presentation drafting and support
- Coordinate and support content creation for IPA’s external newsletters, our annual report, and other publications
- Manage dissemination plans for major releases over the web, social media, and through media outreach work
- Investigate the use of evidence from IPA’s work and manage the production of impact case studies that illustrate how evidence is being used to inform programs and policies
- Propose and execute updates to IPA’s website and publications to ensure content is fresh, timely, and relevant
- Support senior leadership with talking points and other materials for high-level meetings with policymakers, partners, and funders
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, international development, journalism, political science, public policy, or other relevant field required; master’s degree strongly preferred
- At least five years of relevant work experience
- Existing professional writing experience and/or experience with international development and RCTs strongly preferred
- Exceptional and efficient writing and copy-editing skills
- Excellent desktop publishing skills and an eye for good design and presentation
- Experience living and/or working in at least one country where IPA works preferred.
- Experience with basic HTML, Drupal, and/or Salesforce a plus
- Design skills, particularly knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and/or Illustrator, a plus
To apply click here
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.